Banana and Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
As some of you may know, at the start of November I decided to give a vegan lifestyle ago. After being vegetarian for some time now and my main goal is to become a lot healthier it seems to be going okay. However, I am still finding the need to have some sweet treats. Usually a cracker with a decent helping of Almond butter does the trick, but when that isn’t enough I whip out the mixing bowl and dug into the contents of my fruit bowl to make these gems.
Ingredients (makes 14 cupcakes)
3 over ripe bananas, mashed
55g vegan butter
200g brown sugar
250g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
100g walnuts or almonds
For the frosting:
115g vegan butter
170g icing sugar
60g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
dried banana pieces, walnuts or almonds for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) or Gas Mark 4.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the mashed bananas, vegan butter and sugar with an electric whisk or mixer.
3. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour and bicarb together and then add the salt. Finely chop the nuts and add to the flour mixture. Stir together.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture slowly until the mix is combined. Evenly divide the mixture between the cupcake cases. Bake on the middle shelf for 15 – 25 minutes. You can use a skewer to check if they done. If it comes out clean then they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
5. To prepare the icing, sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder in the bowl and then add the vegan butter and vanilla extract. Once it resembles a butter like consistency spoon the mixture into a piping bag.
6. Once the cakes are cooled, pipe the butter cream frosting onto the cupcakes followed by your choice of decoration.
7. Eat and enjoy! The cupcakes will be able to keep for 3 to 4 days in an air tight container.
Are you a vegan? Even if your not, what do you think of the recipe?