This year I have been particularly fond of gingerbread. I decided to try and find a recipe suitable for vegans which was similar to baking some gingerbread men biscuits. The cupcakes went down a treat after Christmas dinner on Thursday too. It’s always nice to hear compliments when it comes to my baking. Thanks Jamie Oliver and your vegan section on your website, much appreciated!
Ingredients: (makes 12-15)
350g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp of sea salt
220 ml vegetable oil
200g golden syrup
60g alpro chocolate soya yogurt
120 ml almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4. Line the cupcake tin with paper cases.
2. Seive the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, cinnamon and sea salt in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, golden syrup, yoghurt and milk until combined. Fold the flour mixture until all is combined.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and place in the over for 15 – 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a plate or wire rack.
5. For the icing, I simply followed a butter icing with vegan butter instead of stork which can be found on the back of most icing bags however you could also use the icing which Jamie Oliver used in his version (read here).
Surprisingly, they tasted delicious and I would even go without saying they taste better than original gingerbread biscuits. Do you think you will try this recipe?