If there is one thing I love about this time of year, it’s toffee apples. There is just something about them which makes me crave one during the colder months. I recently found out that one from the shop is 11.5syns and for any of you slimming worlders out there, you will know that it’s pretty high for one treat so I went on the search for a recipe to try out.
This recipe is rather quick and easy once you know how to do it and they went down a treat in group this week. Everyone commented on how delicious they were!
12 tbsp of granulated sugar
12 tbsp of artificial sweetener (I used Splenda)
red food colouring
8 – 16 apples
lollipop sticks or corn on the cob sticks
1. Arrange your apples with the lollipop sticks or corn on the cob forks facing up, on a non-stick parchment.
2. Add the sugar, sweetener and 400ml of water into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar and sweetener have dissolved.
3. Bring to the boil until it has reduced considerably. I could tell when it was ready as it started to turn a differently colour rather than remaining clear.
4. To check the toffee take 1 tsp of the toffee mixture and drop into a bowl of cold water or drop it onto a plate. It should go hard almost immediately. You must get to this stage before moving onto the next step otherwise it turns into a sloppy mess which looks like icing.
5. When it is ready, add a few drops of red food colouring to the pan and swirl to combine. You could probably get away with using different colours, perhaps a pink one for a birthday or something.
6. As you can see, I used corn on the cob holders as they were simple to push into the apples and made it really sturdy.
7. You can either drizzle the toffee across the apples or dip the apples in to cover it completely. Just be careful with how much you use on each apple. The ones with less toffee I counted as 2.5 syns and the ones which were covered in toffee I counted as 5 syns.
Have you ever tried making toffee apples before? Let me know if you have a go at using this recipe too.
Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me!